Translate

Monday, September 17, 2012

vocab list #6


obsequious- flattering
Wives should always be obsequious to their husbands.
beatitude- Supreme blessedness
It is a beatitude to be able to live in a free country.
bete noire- a detested person (disliked or avoided)
My little brother at school is my bete noire.
bode- Be an omen of a particular outcome
Sometimes people think they are psychic because they are bodes to when its going to rain.
dank- Disagreeably damp, musty, and typically cold
After the beach, my swim shorts had a dank feeling to them.
ecumenical- general; universal; Promoting or relating to unity among the world's Christian churches
The ecumenical symbol for Christianity is a cross.
fervid- Intensely enthusiastic or passionate
The two lovers were very fervid around each other.
fetid- Smelling extremely unpleasant
My dog is very fetid.
gargantuan- of great mass
The whale was such a gargantuan.
heyday- The period of a person's or thing's greatest success or popularity
Just after the lawyer won his big case, he was in his heyday.
incubus- A cause of distress or anxiety like a nightmare
Clowns are the biggest incubus in my life.
infrastructure- The basic physical and organizational structures and facilities needed for the operation
After the surgery, they took me to the infrastructure to recover.
inveigle- Persuade (someone) to do something by means of deception or flattery
When I want money, I inveigle my mom.
kudos- Praise and honor received for an achievement
I gave my brother kudos for passing the 8th grade.
lagniappe- Something given as a bonus or extra gift
When I realized that five dollars was not enough, I gave my friend a stuffed animal as a lagniappe.
prolix- Using or containing too many words; tediously lengthy
I feel that a lot of people write prolix essays.
protege- a person who receives support and protection from an influential patron who furthers the protege's career
My dad was my protege when I decided to go into the tile business.
prototype- A first or preliminary model of something, esp. a machine, from which other forms are developed or copied
The cotton gin was a prototype.
sycophant- A self serving flatterer.
I am a sycophant when I want something.
tautology- The saying of the same thing twice in different words
I always use tautology when foreign exchange students don’t understand me.
truckle- Submit or behave obsequiously
I truckle when I like somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment