Translate

Monday, November 5, 2012

Vocab #11


Affinity- relationship by marriage.
I do not know most of my step dad's cousins very well because I only know them by affinity

Bilious- of or indicative of a peevish ill nature disposition.
My sister is openly Bilious to those she doesn't like.
Cognate- of the same nature.
In Spanish, when a word sounds similar in English as it does in Spanish, we call them cognates.

Corollary- A proposition inferred Immediately from a proved proposition with little or no additional proof.
When my mom grounded me because my sister told her a lie, and she didn't give me a chance to tell my part of the story, it was a corollary.

Cul-de-sac - a pouch/ dead end.
I never keep anything in my cul-de-sac because I don't want it to be stolen.

Derring-do- a daring action.
Stunt doubles always need to be ready for a derring-do.
Divination- The art or practice that seeks to foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge due to the interpretation of omens .
I wish I could study divination so that I could foretell the future and say that my team will win CIF.
Elixir- A substance capable of prolonging life indefinitely.
I drank an Elixir and now I can never die of old age.

Folderol- a useless accessory.
Guys do not wear many folderols.
Gamut- an entire range or series.
Every practice was just a small piece of our gamut to become league champions.
Hoi polloi- the General populace.
The hoi polloi all agree that we do not want a world war III.
Ineffable- incapable of being expressed in words .
I was so happy, it was ineffable.
Lucubration- to study by night.
I usually practice lucubration because my days are so buisy.

Mnemonic- intended to assist memory.
People with Alzheimer usually take a mnemonic.

Obloquy- abusive language.
Many people just use obloquy instead of actions.
Parameter- an independent variable used to express the coordinates of variable point and functions of them.
I had to search the parameter of the building.

Pundit- a learned man.
My grandpa sure is a pundit with all of his life experiances.

Risible- provoking laughter.
I love when my friends are risible.

Symptomatic- having the characteristics of a certain disease but arising of a different cause.
I had a symptomatic headache from hitting my head on the ground.

Volte-face- a reversal in policy.
Usually when laws aren't working out, the government sets a volte-face.

No comments:

Post a Comment