Translate

Monday, August 27, 2012

Vocab List #3


Accolade - any award,honor, or laudatory notice.
Acerbity- sourness,with roughness or astringency of taste.
Attrition- a reduction or decrease in numbers, size, or strength.
Bromide- a platitude or trite saying.
Chauvinist-a person who is aggressively and blindly patriotic, especially one devoted to military glory.
Chronic-constant; habitual; inveterate.
Expound-to set forth or state in detail.
Factionalism-self-interested;partisan.
Immaculate- free from spot or stain; spotlessly clean.
Imprecation- a curse;malediction.
Ineluctable- incapable of being evaded; inescapable.
Mercurial-changeable; volatile;fickle; flighty;erratic.
Palliate- to relieve or lessen without curing.
Protocol-the customs and regulations dealing with diplomatic formality,precedence, and etiquette.
Resplendent-shining brilliantly;gleaming; splendid.
Stigmatize-to set some mark of disgrace or infamy upon.
Sub Rosa- confidentially; secretly;privately.
Vainglory- excessive elation or pride over one's own achievements, abilities,etc.; boastful vanity.
Vestige- a mark, trace,or visible evidence of something that is no longer present or in existence.
Volition- the act of willing, choosing,or resolving;exercise of willing.

Sentences
After graduating college, I was given a car as an accolade.
The food was acerbity in my mouth.
My team had an attrition when our best players quit.
My family is so bromide. I always need to find a way to entertain myself when around them.
After leaving the military, my grandpa has been a chauvinist.
I get chronic migraines all the time.
The movie producer expounded his ideas to his cast.
It is hard to avoid factionalism in life.
After washing the car, it was immaculate.
I do not want to have an imprecation that ruins my life.
After hitting the bird with my car, I realized it was ineluctable.
Because of the boy's mercurial attitude, he had a lot of friends.
The Advil will definitely palliate my headache.
The army commander was just following protocol.
The gold I found on the ground was resplendent.
I never want my family to stigmatize me.
I had a meeting with the principal sub rosa.
I hate when people are vainglory around me.
I was finally able to volition the problem

No comments:

Post a Comment